Message from: East Surrey Walkers (ESW) News
May I begin my first article by introducing myself? My name is Stephen Hanks; in November 2020 I took over the role of Publicity Officer for ESW from Pamela. I have only been a member of ESW for 20 months however because of the friendly and supportive culture of the walkers I have quickly made many good friends and have enjoyed the companionship that prevails on all ESW occasions.
I’d like to take this opportunity to put on record my thanks for the help Pamela has given me when handing over the role.
Prior to the 2nd November the Governments “return to play” rules allowed us to lead walks with up to 30 walkers. In order to operate within the rules our volunteer walk leaders prepare a comprehensive health and safety analysis including a reconnaissance for each walk, the leaders also set how many walkers they wish to participate and manage this with a booking system. For clarity this is a system to provide additional safety measures during Covid times. In normal times there is no walker limit and no booking system. The walks programme and related information can generally be found on our web site.
At time of writing, 25th November, our walks programme remains suspended. However following Government announcements we are anticipating that the return to play policy will be restarting in early December facilitating resumption of our full programme. Details may be found on our website www.eastsurreywalkers.org.uk.
We are also currently updating the web site with details of planned walks from January to March 2021 these will published on the site during December.
I am a dedicated walker and thus I must admit to a positive prejudice however I cannot overstate the mental and physical benefits of walking and not least the simple pleasure of being outside in the countryside. We are always delighted to welcome new walkers you’ll find we have a range of walks to suit all abilities.
I include a small selection of our planned local walks. There are, of course, longer and more strenuous walks you will find details on the web site: > www.eastsurreywalkers.org.uk
- Hurst Green Saturday 2nd January 10am meet Holland Sports Club, Mill lane, 4 mile easy walk
- Oxted Monday 18th January 10am meet Old Godstone Road nr. Bushey Croft 3 mile easy walk
- Farleigh Wednesday 20th January 10am meet car park nr. Little Green Farm 5.5 mile leisurely walk
- Crockham Hill Friday 5th February 10am meet car park at the village hall 5 mile easy walk
- Redhill Wednesday 17th February 10am meet car park at Earlswood Common on the A2044. 6.5 leisurely walk.
- Woldingham Friday 26th February 10am meet South Hawk car park nr. Gangers Hill 6 mile leisurely walk.
We wish you enjoyable walking